Since you are expecting a baby, you have heavy legs and the impression that they are swollen. Our advice to make you feel better.
Why pregnant heavy legs?
- The hormones secreted at the beginning of the pregnancy are responsible for a decrease in the tonicity of the vessels. The weight gain and the increase in the volume of the uterus, due to the development of your future baby, impede this circulation that goes up to the upper body. As a result, the return of the blood from the feet to the heart is no longer as effective.
Against heavy legs, move!
- Walk at least half an hour a day.Walking reduces edema because it improves blood circulation. The ideal is in the water at mid-thighs.
- Practice swimming once a week, this ideal sport for your legs improves circulation. No need to swim fast, do it at your own pace, preferably on your back, for about 15 minutes.
- If you are not a fan of swimming, discover the benefits of gymnastics in the water.
- Do a little gym: lying on the floor on your back, legs raised on a wall, draw small circles with the tips of your feet, one leg after another. In 4 series interspersed with 20 seconds of recovery.
- Another activity anti-heavy legs, the bicycle. Only on flat ground, without making too much effort, or even in your bathroom with a bike.
Have good light legs reflexes
- Avoid standing for long periods of time, it is very bad for traffic. Regularly slacken your legs and turn your ankles for traffic, especially if you are traveling by car or plane.
- Avoid crossing your legs when sitting.
- Avoid clothing that compresses: tight jeans, stretch leggings or elastic socks.
- Prefer comfortable shoes, neither too high nor too low (ideal for heel height is 4 to 5 cm) to preserve blood flow.
- Abandon this year hot baths, sauna and steam room.
- Opt for depilatory creams and give up waxing with hot wax.
- Get in the habit of wearing socks or compression tights: they are usually prescribed by the doctor to reduce ankle swelling and protect the legs. Your doctor will give you advice on the type and brand of compression stockings to wear during the day (you can apply over a heavy anti-leg treatment).
- Forget your horsehair glove in a drawer: it traumatizes your skin.
- Drink 1.5 liters of water a day and draw a line on coffee or tea. Bad for your body in general, the excitants are particularly for the blood circulation.
- Eat balanced to control your weight.
- Sleep your raised legs 10 to 15 cm by putting shims under the feet of your bed. This helps to restore venous circulation.
- Finish your shower with a cooler spray on your legs going up from ankle to knee.
Think about care and lymphatic drainage
- It's time to get to know the specific light leg care. This targeted care contains plants that whip venous circulation become lazy, suddenly disappearing swelling and feeling of heaviness. The good gestures. First massage the arch and then walk up to the thighs. Draw the outline of the knees several times with the thumbs.
- Lymphatic drainage, massage performed by a physiotherapist, stimulates the lymph charged to eliminate toxins stored in tissues. This massage consists of a succession of slow and gentle pressure followed by relaxation at certain specific places of the body, and performed on a regular rhythm. This will deflate your legs and give you a real sense of well-being.
- If necessary, the doctor will prescribe a veinotonic. This herbal medicine, safe for your future baby, tones the venous wall and eliminates pain.
And after the birth of baby?
- In the vast majority of cases, everything will return to normal within three months of delivery. However, the sensation of heavy legs or varicose veins may reappear during a future pregnancy. Heredity also plays a role. If one of your parents has problems with varicose veins, you are likely not to regress these different manifestations. It will then be necessary to consult a phlebologist.
Varicose veins, how to prevent them? Our advices.